Wednesday, January 20, 2016

the one about the stories that bind us

An important principle in my home was to always remember our name. As I think about that now I'm touched by how my parents showed their love and taught my siblings and I. My dad would remind us our last name was our heritage and a part of us. Our actions spoke for who we were and who our ancestors were. We were to always live worthy of that last name. As I think about it now I'm sure my dad meant more than just our family name. We are disciples of Christ, and as such, should always live worthy of His name as well. At baptism we covenanted to take upon us His name (Mosiah 18) with that, we covenanted to always remember Him. Our actions spoke not only of our family but also of our dear Savior. How would I reflect Him this day? Having that as one of our family themes made it easier to make choices and overcome challenges because I knew to whom I belong to, my earthly family as well as my Heavenly one.
In a research done and summarized in an article in the New York Times, called Stories That Bind Us, the study discussed how children who knew more about their family and who had a family theme of some sort performed better through difficulties and astronomical troubles. Perhaps, one of the greatest gifts we can give our families is the knowledge of unity. Through whatever may come, we are not alone. I recognize how pivotal those educational moments with my family were. We always gathered together around the table and discussed our days. We were taught how to handle adversities. We discussed important topics that I'm sure were not fun to bring up, but were necessary to learn. I'm grateful for loving parents who tried again and again to help my siblings and I know that despite any actions we would still belong to our family and to Heavenly Father's. We were to do our very best and remember who we were. I hope to be that kind of teacher to my children someday as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment