Monday, March 21, 2016

the one about ASL

I have always been so fascinated with American Sign Language. When my mother was in Young Womens she was asked by her Bishop to learn ASL in order to help a family who had a younger girl that was deaf. My mother as well as my aunt did so and became good friends with this girl. Growing up I would sometimes see my aunt and my mom signing back and forth short little conversations that they didn't want the children to hear of. My mom did teach us some vocabulary but never enough to carry out a conversation. On my mission one of my dearest companions wad hard of hearing. Sister Pierce's parents were both deaf and ASL was her first language. She taught me a lot as we studied and helped me be able to communicate with a sister we were meeting with. This less active was so sweet and loved us so much! Sister Pierce was such a blessing to the area because we could finally teach this lady and she could finally come to church and understand what was being said. I finally was able to sign a little, enough to bear my testimony and say a prayer. After leaving that area I forgot a lot of what was taught but still was able to contact some people who were deaf and it was such a neat experience. Now I take classes in ASL and I love it. I'm so thankful I have the chance to learn and really grow in it! It makes me thrilled to finally be able to understand and communicate through American Sign Language, it's a life goal finally being pursued.

No comments:

Post a Comment