Tuesday, March 22, 2016

the one about the trial of their faith

            From the beginning our Father in Heaven has always wanted the very best for His children. He desires for us to grow in character, in testimony, and in faith. He created a marvelous plan that would help each of us do just that. We learn so much from His Great Plan of Happiness, but one of the greatest opportunities and blessings is the chance we have to learn by faith in this life. The struggles of mortality will not be completely overcome without belief in a divine Creator and His ability. Within the book of Alma, in The Book of Mormon, we read, “Faith is not to have a perfect knowledge of things; therefore if ye have faith ye hope for things which are not seen, which are true.” Many times are faith is strengthened through experiences. Throughout my life I have received witnesses, which enhance my faith. The opposite is also true. Trials will be given to us where we are expected to have faith. If we endure we will receive a witness and a deeper testimony of the principles.
            The strategy of believing and waiting for a witness seems frustrating and in a way is like teasing a pet; seeing something and wanting it but not always getting it just by leaping for it, more is needed. I hate to refer to it as a strategy, but in a way it is, an interesting one at that. Heavenly Father is perfect and has said, “My ways are higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.” So we know that His plan is perfect and His way of achieving His purpose is also perfect. Thus, this way of trying us is perfect as well.
            Today we expect to be handed much and work for little. We hope that by putting forth a little work that great and successful things will come because of it. People want what they want when they want it and how they wanted it. Patience and hard work have little to do with anything when it comes to most people getting what they want. Does anything good ever come without hard work though? The Lord knows exactly what is necessary for us to truly be happy. As He said to the Nephites, he says to us, “I will try the faith of my people.” Everything worth anything requires hard work. A testimony of the Gospel and the doctrines are no different. Faith and work go hand in hand when trying to deepen our roots of testimony. We can expect and hope for mountains to climb in order to develop a surety of His gospel.
            Throughout The Book of Mormon examples of this are shown and taught that we may develop further understanding. In Alma chapter thirty-two, the prophet Alma [the younger], teaches the Zoramites about faith. He compares it to a seed that must be planted and nourished in order to grow. This parable describes what we can expect as we do the same in our life. When we believe in a principle it is just a small and simple seed. When we plant it we rely on faith, expecting that it will grow and become mighty with time. As we exert our faith, hoping that it will grow, and our time and work, nourishing it daily that is when the progress occurs. The witness of that faith is not manifested until we actually see a sprout. We have knowledge that His plan is perfect when the tiny seed of faith grows into a tree and produces fruit. Alma tells us, “Your knowledge is perfect in that thing, and your faith is dormant.” The definition of dormant is, alive but not actively growing. So the process of developing that knowledge is the growth and activity of our faith but once we receive a witness our faith is still, until it is exercised in the next trial of our faith. We learn in Alma’s sermon, perhaps the greatest chapter on faith in all of The Book of Mormon, we “shall reap the rewards of [our] faith, and [our] diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit.”
            The stripling warriors’ experience serves as a flawless example of a trial of faith. Towards the end of the book of Alma, war is sweeping across the civilizations. The Anti-Nephi-Lehies, or the people of Ammon, had covenanted with God “that they would not take up their weapons of war against their brethren to shed blood.” With more warriors needed to fight to protect the rights of the church and government, many considered to dismiss their covenant to help. Moroni would not allow such a thing and with that 2,000 of their young sons vowed and covenanted to fight and protect the rights of God. These young men had no experience in war unlike the Lamanites who were raised, at the time, to hate and kill their enemies. “Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death . . . they did not doubt, God would deliver them.” With that faith they went to battle prepared to face even death. To Moroni’s surprise “not one soul of them [had] fallen to the earth.” There are times in my life when I cannot comprehend how I will overcome a trial. If I can apply the same principles and exhort the faith that the 2,000 stripling warriors did, I have the Lord’s promise I can overcome anything He thinks necessary for me to experience. Like them, I can trust the truths I was taught at a young age. Like them, I can hold tight to the covenants that I have made and find strength in them.  Like them, I can overcome both spiritual and physical death through my Savior, Jesus Christ.
            Later in The Book of Mormon another experience is recorded where great faith is required. Samuel the Lamanite had prophesied to the people the birth of their, and our, Savior. He testified of His coming to redeem the world of their sins. He told them of the signs that would surely come to reveal the truthfulness of his message. A day, a night, and a day that appeared to be as one day would be a sign, along with a new star. Five years later, there was “great uproar throughout the land” for the “words of Samuel [were] not fulfilled.” Unbelievers set aside a day to put to death all those who believed in the signs unless they should come to pass. The faithful watched steadfastly for the signs falling to the ground praying for their lives to be spared. The prophet Nephi “cried mightily unto the Lord all that day.” Finally, the voice of the Lord came answering his prayers saying, “Be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given.” Even then though, the believers still had to exercise their faith in the words of the Savior. “At the going down of the sun there was no darkness.” Their witness did finally come, but only after exhorting all their faith and strength. I would hope that I would have the determination to hold onto every ounce of faith as they did. They believed in the promises of ancient and modern prophets whom the Lord had sent. Luckily, I may never have an experience where my faith determines my life, but I will have moments when I question how long is long enough. I’ll have trials where I just am ready to give up at any moment and loose everything that I have stood for. I know that I have temptations where it would be so much easier to just give in than believe and pray for strength to withstand. But as the faithful saints stood steadfastly within their trials I too can hold on awhile longer until the Lord seeeth fit to remove my afflictions.
            Perhaps one of my favorite scriptural examples of someone who received a witness of their faith is the Brother of Jared. As the Brother of Jared prepared his people to cross the ocean in their vessels he faced three different trials. The need for air, the need to steer, and the need to have light. For the first two obstacles the Lord explained what was needed and the provided a way. For the last obstacle the Lord asked the Brother of Jared, “What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?” I’m sure with a lot of thought and consideration, the Brother of Jared presented sixteen stones to the Lord. With all the faith he had, the Brother of Jared asked the Lord to touch them that they may be lit to bring light to each of the barges. Now I’m sure there was a bit of hesitation as he presented his plan to the Lord but because of his faith and knowledge in the Savior, he trusted the Lord would edify his desires. I don’t believe that the Lord touched each one and the showed himself to his servant, but instead that it was a trial of his faith. Hoping, praying, and believing that he would light up the next one and the next one until one by one each were lit and the Savior revealed Himself to him. “Never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have see my finger.” Through this prophet’s diligent work and faith he had knowledge of the Savior’s very own body made of flesh and blood. Only following his trial did he receive that witness and understanding. I may not need to devise a plan to have light but I will face obstacles in my life where I need to know who does provide the light. There are times when I feel lost in the darkness and through my work and faith will I find comfort and safety and knowledge in my Redeemer and Savior, The Light of the World.
           I have never had my family turn against me and seek my life, nor have I ever been asked to leave my home and country. I will never be asked to leave my family and face half a lifetime of abuse while preaching the gospel. My city may never be overtaken and forced to provide for another King. My life may never be threatened unless I deny my faith, nor will I probably have to participate as my entire civilization turned to bloodshed. I recognize how blessed I am and I’m truly grateful for this life that I have. With that, I also know that I will continue to have challenges, temptations, and trials throughout my life that are designed for me. As I follow the example of so many prophets and servants of the Lord from The Book of Mormon, I know that I will have the strength to overcome anything “for [I will] receive not witness until after the trial of [my] faith.” Our Heavenly Father’s plan is perfect and it is through it that we will gain the testimony that is needed to return to His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment