Tuesday, April 5, 2016

the one about my thoughts on Conference

Every six months I anxiously await the next General Conference. It's funny, to those outside of the Church, 10 hours of sitting and listening to someone else's grandparents talk doesn't seem exciting. Yet, all around the world, millions of people prepare to be taught for hours by the leaders of the Church. This General Conference was spiritually enlightening like the others. Perhaps one of my favorite talks was Elder Hales. He spoke on the Holy Ghost. I appreciated it so much because it is something I've been wanting to work on since I've returned home on my mission. It seemed so much easier to recognize the Spirit then. Elder Hales taught that the third member of the Godhead was a unique and cherished blessing and gift from the Father to be our constant companion. He is an instrument for the Father to communicate His plan to us. This is a special gift and shouldn't be misused. Growing up I heard often the phrase, "Go and pray about it." Which is still a great idea! But what I learned is that our Heavenly Father granted us an opportunity to use another great gift. The gift of agency. Hales said as we take every question we've ever had and expect answers from the Holy Ghost we make the gift and task trivial. As we come to understand the purpose of the Holy Ghost we come to trust the presence and respect His calling. I'm thankful for the gift of the Spirit. I'm excited to apply what I've learned from this Conference, as well as others. I hope I can recognize the Spirit more so I can utilize the blessing it is in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment