Monday, April 4, 2016

the one about transferring to BYU

I have never wanted wanted to go to BYU. I thought it was a great school and was happy it was around, but it never felt like it was the place for me. My senior year I didn't even fill out the application--I just wasn't interested. This was probably unusual for a young LDS girl not wanting to go to BYU to be surrounded by others like her. Being raised with the same 30 members in my little branch my whole life and never having many with my same standards and same beliefs, I was used to standing out. In fact, I almost enjoyed it, not that I got a lot of attention, but I was well-known. It was kind of nice to have an audience that watched me, that knew I was the Mormon girl. I loved being that example, although at times it was difficult to feel my every move was being analyzed, I enjoyed the questions, respect, and understanding of my peers. So many LDS youth go to BYU to finally be in the majority and that's great for them! It just wasn't me. I went to my dream school, The University of Nebraska Lincoln! I loved it at UNL. I loved my major, I loved my friends group, I loved my singles ward, and I loved the school. After two semesters of attending there I began meeting with my Bishop and realized I felt like I was missing something in my life. I didn't know what it was but finally after months of praying about it I knew it was my mission. While on the mission I had planned to go back and finish my undergrad at UNL. I had so many sisters and companions telling me that I should transfer to here or there and my response was always the same, "Nah, I love Lincoln and I'm just not that interested in those schools." For months this happened. One sister finally shot at me saying, "Sister, you have to at least pray about it. What if Heavenly Father's plan for you has changed." It took me by surprise but I considered the idea of it. When I had been out for about a year I began thinking more about goals or plans for when I returned. I prayed that when the time was right I would know what to do. No longer than a week had passed when I woke up in the middle of the night sat up in my bed and had an intense and urgent feeling, "You need to apply to BYU." It was a simple thought but a pressing feeling. With permission from my President I was able to work on my application the next preparation day. I noticed the application was due in a month. That gave me 4 p-days to work on it--I take that back, 3 one of those days was a holiday the office and library would be closed. I did everything in my power to finish and submit it on time. I had to contact UNL and send my transcripts and on the last p-day before it was due I had sent everything off hoping it would arrive on time. I didn't necessarily want to go still but I wanted to follow my prompting. After about a month I heard back and saw that I had been accepted. I wasn't sure what I should do at this point. I continued to pray and just felt at peace that I wouldn't have been given a prompting if I wasn't suppose to follow and act upon it. I registered for classes for the fall and began mentally preparing myself that I would no longer be a cornhusker, but a cougar (let's be honest, I'll always be a cornhusker at heart). At the return home of my mission I had so many willing to help. A companion from Utah helped find me housing and I had so many wonderful people seeing me off as a began another chapter of my life. The first few months here at BYU were different for sure. The atmosphere is totally different than UNL. At first I missed Nebraska so much. I missed the people and the relaxed and slow lifestyle. I felt everyone was so uptight here and in a hurry. I didn't know why I was here besides the fact that it was a part of Heavenly Father's plan. After the first few rough months I began to like it, a lot in fact! I feel so blessed to be here now. I'm grateful for the spiritual prompting I was given. I'm thankful for good religious people to teach me and be a part of my education. I love being able to talk about my faith in different settings and have conversations focused on our beliefs in class. I love saying prayers before football games, classes, lectures, and exams. I thankful for firesides and devotionals throughout the week to increase the spirit on campus and in our lives. I love BYU and will be forever grateful for the opportunity I have now to study on this campus with so many wonderful friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment